Monday, July 13, 2009

1984-"Ok Boys, $233.00/ea. Will buy us a camper!!




The Party: Ah,,,this is the year the G.T.G. has arrived! My brother Rick, Tom (Pres.) & me (C.O.B.) went in together and bought a pop-up Starcraft camper (sleeps 6) for $700.00. The days of sleeping in Ford station wagons, Chevy Chevette's & Chevy Citation's are over! The "Gang" this year is me, Steve Hawley, brother Rick, brother-in-law Bob Pegarsch, Tom Anderson, Brent Anderson and our "Rookie" for this year is my cousin Jim Hart. Note: All "rookies" that are initiated into the Wisconsin Good-Time Gang have to do 2 things their first year. 1.) Wash dishes & 2.) Carry/pull the coolers on race day. Rick has made a cart on wheels to strap the coolers onto this year. Didn't see too much of that back then @ Indy, but now almost everyone does it. Can't remember (doesn't say in scrapbook), what we did for pre-race activities but I'm sure it was take our traditional walk down Georgetown Rd. & then 16th St. & then Miss Nude Indy 500 Contest. (Hey, ya gotta have respect for tradition!).The Race: Steve Hawley's friend Steve Page was a sports writer for the Publo Chieftain (Colorado) in 1984. He was nice to let me have a pit pass for race day. (see picture) The pass got me into garage alley and onto the track for car warm-ups and hour before the race. For this guy from Wisconsin that has always had a love affair for Indy car racing and the Indy 500 in particular, that was one of the biggest thrills of my life, and I loved every minute if it!! Steve even drove one of the pace car replicas back to Colorado after the race. Rick Mears drove an almost flawless race and went onto win his 2nd Indy 500.















No comments:

Post a Comment